Thursday 11 February 2010

To the gods of soul and fizzy juice

Still working on the EP. Here's what we ate this week:
Veggie sausage and mash, with a very nice peppercorn sauce courtesy of Craig. We also finished watching The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi last night. Next up; FLCL!


I've been listening to a lot of Northern Soul lately, and right on cue, Gil Scott Heron's back (okay, so I know he's not exactly Northern Soul, but he is definitely soul...). I've never really got the appeal of Robert Johnson before, but his cover of Me and the Devil is stunning:

And I know he's mostly known for his spoken word stuff, being the godfather of rap and all that, but I've always preferred his soul tracks. I mean, just listen to this:

See also:



And to come back to Northern Soul:

The lines
I almost couldn't do it
how could I put you through it?
followed by the female "I love you baby, I need you baby" are heartbreaking. Anyway, February is clearly soul-month round here...


I'm going to finish with a documentary (via here) which will make you happy (unless you have no soul):

No comments:

Post a Comment